Orthopedic Pillows For Neck And Shoulder Pain
Orthopedic pillows are pillows designed to help place one or more body parts in the correct alignment to alleviate or prevent pain.(1.) Sleeping with the correct body alignment is essential for comfortable night’s sleep.
There are several types of orthopedic pillows available for most body parts, including the neck, lower back and knees. As this article will be about orthopedic pillows for neck and shoulder pain, I will be reviewing some pillows to prevent pain in the neck and shoulder area.
Quick Links to Info on this Page
- 1 Types of orthopedic pillows for neck and shoulder pain
- 2 Best orthopedic pillows for neck and shoulder pain relief
- 3 My No.1 pick best orthopedic pillow to relieve neck and back pain –
- 4 Best Buckwheat Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain –
- 5 Best Body Pillow To Relieve Neck And Shoulder Pain –
- 6 Conclusion
Types of orthopedic pillows for neck and shoulder pain
The three orthopedic pillows I will be reviewing are
- The Cervical Pillow, which is shaped to contour the neck and shoulder. It is suitable for back and side sleepers and can help neck ache and frozen shoulder and can also improve snoring and sleep apnoea.(2.)
- The second orthopedic pillow I will be reviewing is a Buckwheat Pillow. Buckwheat pillows are suitable for side and back sleepers as they can be customized to the desired size by adding or removing hull from the pillow.
- The third orthopedic pillow I will be reviewing is a Body Pillow. Certain body pillows can be used in all sleeping positions as they are a very versatile pillow replacing several small pillows at once. Body pillows are placed between the knees, along the body up to the head. It is designed to help keep proper body alignment which may help prevent neck and shoulder pain.
Best orthopedic pillows for neck and shoulder pain relief
My No.1 pick best orthopedic pillow to relieve neck and back pain –
The reason I chose the Perform Pillow memory foam neck pillow as my No.1 choice is because it is specifically designed to keep the neck and shoulders in alignment throughout your night’s sleep.
I have to admit that I am a big fan of memory foam as I like the soft, conforming feeling memory foam mattresses and pillows give. This pillow does not disappoint as it uses high quality, high density memory foam.
I really like the chiropractor approved shape of the pillow as it has a choice of height on both sides, one larger than the other, allowing you to choose which size supports your neck better. The special design is suitable for small or long necks and is also suitable for back and side sleepers. For those that are sensitive to allergies and dust, the pillow is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
This pillow is a firm pillow and may take a few days to get used to it if you are used to soft pillows, however, this firmness will be one of the reasons why it may remove those aches and pains in your neck. I really like that the company has a 5 year warranty and a 30 day trial period because if you are not satisfied with the product, then you can send it back within 30 days for a full refund.
The Perform Pillow memory foam pillow is a great orthopedic pillow that I recommend for back and side sleepers suffering from neck and shoulder pain.
- Chiropractor approved design
- Suitable for short and long necks
- Suitable for side and back sleepers
- Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant
- Comes with washable soft bamboo cover
- 5 year warranty
- 30 day money back trial period
- may have a slight chemical smell for the first few days
- May be a little firm in the beginning if not used to firm pillows
Best Buckwheat Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain –
I have no hesitation in recommending a buckwheat pillow if you are suffering from neck and shoulder pain. Buckwheat pillows are definitely different to the average pillow but they provide fantastic support and are great for keeping cool.
One of my favorite qualities of buckwheat pillows are the ability to customize the size of the pillow to suit you personally. This is very easy to do by adding or removing the buckwheat hull inside the pillow. The buckwheat is organically grown in the USA and is free from chemicals.
The beauty of these hulls are that they allow air to circulate through the pillow keeping them dry and fresh and also keeping you comfortable. I really like how buckwheat pillows are slightly heavy and solid as they give fantastic support to the neck and head. By customizing the pillow to the correct size you can pack the pillow into your neck which gives fabulous support and is essential in preventing painful neck and shoulders.
The cover is organically hand crafted in the USA and comes in several sizes to suit everyone from small children to large adults. One thing to note is that the hulls inside the pillow make a little noise when moved so you might need to get used to that but this is not a problem for the majority of people.
This pillow may not be the most conventional choice of pillows but as a pillow to give comfort and support for neck and back pain I highly recommend the ComfySleep Buckwheat Pillow.
- Solid, with good support
- Breathable, dry & fresh
- Comes in different sizes to suit children to adults
- Made in USA
- There is a slight noise when you move the hulls in the pillow
Best Body Pillow To Relieve Neck And Shoulder Pain –
I recommended the Comfort U Total Body Pillow in one of my other articles on ‘Body Pillows For Back Pain’. I highly rate this body pillow and believe that it is not only a great pillow to relieve back pain but also great for neck and shoulder pain as well.
The beauty of U shaped body pillows are that they allow you to get your whole body in the correct alignment not just your neck. By placing one leg of the pillow between your bent knees, it places your hips and spine in their correct alignment, setting you up for a relaxing, comfortable night’s sleep.
At the top of the pillow you can place your head so that you are snuggled in between both legs of this giant pillow. I love U shaped pillows as they are comfy and fun, however, I must warn you that these pillows are quite large and will take up a lot of room in a bed. They are great for single sleepers or people with large beds. Each leg is 68″ long so it should be suitable for people of all heights.
The Comfort U Total Body Pillow is a great choice for those wanting to get their body in the proper alignment from knees to head, which will reduce the chances of straining their neck and shoulders while sleeping.
- Get full body alignment
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
- Large enough for all heights
- Handcrafted in the USA
- Needs large bed
- Difficult for storing due to size
Sleeping with neck and shoulder pain can be a nightmare and waking up the next day with those aches and pains can be worse. In this article I have given a choice of three different orthopedic pillows that may help you have a more comfortable, painless sleep. Many people have got great results with each of these pillows so the next step is to choose which one is the most suitable for you.